We make features that we want to use ourselves – and I always found myself asking, “What bosses do I save my bonus rolls for?” This feature became an instant hit – apparently a lot of other people also wanted that question answered. Even a few Blizzard folks are using it (and tweeting about it!)
Here’s a demo video of the bonus roll feature that I made for patch 5.4. Everyone is probably killing more than the first few bosses now, but you’ll get the idea
How bonus rolls work:
There’s roughly a 15% chance your bonus roll gives you loot. We calculate the % chance you get an upgrade like this: we take number of upgrades divided by possible items, multiplied by 15%. So let’s say there are 4 drops I could get from a boss, and all 4 are upgrades because my gear is scrub. I’d have a 15% chance to get an upgrade. Now, let’s say only 2 of the 4 items are upgrades, I’d have a 7.5% chance of getting an upgrade, and a 7.5% chance of getting an item I don’t need. I’d also have an 85% chance of smashing my face on the keyboard if my luck is bad
Let Mr. Robot help you with your Bonus Rolls!
Unfortunately, he can’t hack the boss drops yet to guarantee you’ll get something. But he CAN help you optimize the bonus rolls. Let’s take a look at the information you can get in the “Find Upgrades” feature. I used screenshots for the new Throne of Thunder raid, but any 5.0 raid works just the same
Select the zone where you want to spend your Mogu Runes of Fate (bonus rolls). You can choose LFR, Normal and Heroic. Below is what it looks like for an LFR Queue.
How to make a decision:
You have a few things to help you decide:
- The chance you’ll get an upgrade: remember, 15% chance means every item is an upgrade. If you win an item from a boss with a 15% chance, you will NOT get a duplicate item or a downgrade! If this is your thing, sort by ‘best chance.’
- The average score of upgrades: some bosses will have 2 HUGE upgrades for you, and 2 very MINOR upgrades. Other bosses will have 4 PRETTY GOOD upgrades. Mr. Robot averages these together to help you decide.
- The biggest upgrade score: If you’re looking for that HUGE upgrade, this might be the deciding factor for you. It might require a little restraint if the chance to win it is low, but that’s what the mute button on your mic is for, amirite?!
Mr. Robot – Your Bonus Roll BFF:
Mr. Robot is here to help. He’ll provide you with all of the information you need to make a decision. He doesn’t claim the decision will be easy, but with help you can make decisions that maximize your upgrades and minimize the chance you get duplicate items. Unless of course, you want to take the big gamble on a huge upgrade with bad chances. He’ll let you do that, and he’ll be cheering you on too!