First, let’s start off with this factoid: The mobile app has not changed, it has just moved. Also, you DO NOT NEED to buy anything else! Once you complete the transition process by following instruction on your phone, you will get to access the app and RoboCouncil, just as before!
Q: I don’t like the address bar taking up real estate!
A: Neither do we, here’s a tutorial on how to remove the address bar for iPhones.
Q: Do I have to pay more money to get the app?
A: No. A BIG BEEFY ABSOLUTELY NOT NO! Once you complete the transition process, you own the app and RoboCouncil. YAY! Sorry for any confusion. Now, read the next question, it’s related.
Q: Did I pay for nothing? Does everyone else get the mobile app for free?
A: The mobile app is not free for anyone. Previous mobile users got their accounts transitioned. Anyone else who wants it still has to pay.
Q: If I already own the app and RoboCouncil, why would I upgrade to a premium account?
A: After you complete the mobile transition, you own the app and RoboCouncil and don’t have to make any more purchases. But, we have some cool features coming out that will cost additional cash, like the Gear Planner (slated for early 2012!), probably a cool MoP feature, and support for other games (SWTOR first, then LoL). If you want all of those, a premium account totally makes sense, plus, we remove all ads for premium account owners. Since you already owned the app, you get 50% off the premium account if you choose to upgrade.
Q: Is the mobile app just a mini website now? I am seeing the website like I see it from my computer, I don’t see a mobile form-factor anymore.
A: That might mean we aren’t detecting your phone. Try this: open the Mr. Robot on your mobile browser. At the top of the screen, do you see a big ‘switch to mobile’ link? If not, we are definitely not detecting your phone. Email us or post in our forums with the phone you own, and we’ll add it to the list for detection! feedback@(oursite).com
Q: The pick a character bar shows up in the middle of my screen (or some other weird layout).
A: It happens on some iPhones (see picture here), but we’re not sure why, and it isn’t consistent. While we track down the cause, you can fix it my rotating your phone to landscape mode, then back again.
Q: Why are you moving it?
A: For a lot of good reasons, the we elaborate on here.
Q: Why do I have to create an account and login?
A: Since the app is sold on the web, and not the app stores, we have to verify that the person owns the app.
Q: I am having trouble logging in via the app, what’s up?
A: There’s a few things you can try, preferably in this order.
1. Make sure you have ‘private browsing turned OFF’ – go to settings > safari > privacy.
2. Force quit your browser, then open it up. Type in http://www.askmrrobot.com. If you aren’t presented with the mobile screen, look for the big ‘switch to mobile’ option at the top of the navigation.
3. Try uninstalling the app (you don’t need to reinstall it anymore). Restart the phone.
4. Since the app is tied to your account now, and not your phone, try logging in on someone else’s phone, if that works, it points to a setting on your phone not cooperating, and we can help troubleshoot it some more.
5. If you manage to create an account but can’t get the mobile transition process to play nice, email us at feedback@(oursite.com) with your user name. We can help.
Q: I created an account but it doesn’t think I own the app, help?
A: Email us, feedback@(oursite).com with your user name and we’ll help. Until we get your account set up, please start the free trial of the app to tide you over
Q: I paid for an app, not a mobile website, can I get a refund?
A: The app is still an app, it’s just accessed differently. You use a web browser instead of an app launch icon, but the product is still the same. If the app doesn’t work on your phone and we can’t fix it, we can process a refund. However, this will lock out access for the mobile app, RoboCouncil’s mobile app, and RoboCouncil on the web (new!).
Q: The new mobile app is slow, I don’t like it!
A: We are working through it and it will be fixed! It’s very likely it has to do with the BiS cache. You see, we cache millions of BiS sets on our servers to make sure the site loads nice and fast. With this update, we had to blow away that cache, and so now those millions of sets are being re-cached. Hang in there, it’s a top priority.
Q: I’ve tried everything and the app transition just won’t work, what do I do?
A: Sorry about that. We can manually set up your account. We need a few things from you first.
1. Open the app and look for the email link we provide for reporting problems.
2. Click that link to send an email. Be sure to include the user name you used when you registered on our site (not the forums, that’s different). That email will automatically send us your app code, which we need to manually set up your account.
3. It might take us 48 hours to manually set up your account. So in the meantime, please start a free trial of the app to tide you over. Once your account is setup, you’ll have the app and RoboCouncil assign to your account