I try to cap my valor and bonus rolls each week, but it seems so hard to find enough time to do it all! So I decided to sit down and do some basic math to figure out how long it should really take me. I’ve listed my strategy below – feel free to leave a comment with your own tips too.
First, let’s cover the basics… sources of Valor Points:
- Normal/Heroic mode boss kills = 40 Valor
- Killing the end boss of each LFR queue = 90 Valor
- Daily quests = 5 Valor
- Champions of the Thunder King - a weekly quest for 150 Valor
- Killing Rare ToT spawns: chance to drop Tome of Valor, which rewards 15 Valor
- Running daily scenarios and dungeons rewards 50 / 80 Valor Points (respectively), and 25 / 40 VP for additional runs on the same day.
Estimating time for each activity:
The biggest surprise when I started evaluating all sources of valor, was that the daily random dungeon rewarded 80 Valor Points (sometimes 60). When compared to running LFR wings for 90 Valor points, the Dungeons started looking a lot more efficient. At least from the “Time Spent” point of view. Here are some rough time estimates for each activity:
- ToT LFR: ~1 Hour per wing
- MSV, HoF, ToES LFR: ~30 min per wing.
- Isle of Thunder Daily Quests: 30-45 Minutes for full set of quests (of course, there are other daily quests you can do)
- If you do “Champions of the Thunder King” each week you get 150 Valor (and 5 Lesser Charms). This is the Shan’ze Ritual Stone quest.
- Daily Dungeon: ~15-30 minutes each.
- Daily Scenario: ~10-20 minutes each.
Queuing for each LFR wing can take a long time, unless you’re a healer or a tank. So if you have a healer or tank friend, it is worth it to set aside a time to queue for these together. It will make your queues very short. However, if you have to wait, you might as well do some dailies or pet battles (see below) to get your weekly bonus rolls.
Here’s a list of all activities that reward valor.
Unless I’m missing an easy way to get valor, it will take a lot of work to Valor Cap each week. Probably 8+ hours, in addition to your normal raiding hours. I wish you luck!! (I know I haven’t been able to find the time to valor cap each week, but I keep trying).
Bonus Roll Capping – 50 Lesser Charms
First, let’s cover some breaking news (breaking, at least at the time of this post). As of 4/23/13, it only costs 50 Lesser Charms (instead of 90) to get your weekly Mogu Runes of Fate! (source) TY @duncanrobertson for the tip, and @Bashiok for tweeting it.
- Most daily quests reward you with 2 lesser charms of good fortune, but some only reward you with 1. Each day’s Isle of Thunder quests will give you 30 charms (10 quests give you 2 charms each, and the 2 Elite quests give you 5 charms each). You need to do these 2 times each week to max out your charms.
- You can also get charms from pet battles!! This seems to be a not-very well-known fact (it was news to me, and I read the 5.2 patch notes at least a dozen times!). You have a chance to win 1-6 lesser charms after winning a pet battle, as long as the pet you’re fighting against is within 5 levels of your highest level pet in the team. A lot of players make a team of level 5 (or lower) pets and fight in the critters in their main towns (Orgrimmar / Stormwind).
Spend your Valor & Bonus Rolls Wisely
You guessed it, your friendly neighborhood Robot can help you decide what to spend your hard-earned stuff on. A fan-favorite is the bonus roll calculator. And a close second is help spending Valor, which will be even more helpful when upgrades return in 5.3!