It’s here, it’s awesome, and so far people love it! Get it on Curse.
Here’s what it does for you:
- Imports your optimizations into the game
- Tells you what items need each gem, enchant and reforge
- Shows you a shopping list & updates as you buy/acquire mats
- Lets you send the shopping list to a friend (currently using the chat windows, soon you can mail it in-game too)
- Auto-reforges for you! /cheer
- Exports your data to use for the Best in Bags feature (click on the Best in Bags tab in the in game mod, then click the export button).
1. Download the mod via Curse - install it like you would any other mod. If you need some help, read this tutorial on Curse.
2. Load your character on our website. Make sure your character is up to date and setup how you like it (right stat weights and various options). To make sure it’s up to date, click the “Update from Armory” button to the left of your character name.
3. Click the “Optimized” button to get the suggested gems, enchants and reforges.
4. Click the gray “Export to Addon” button, found just above the stat section.
5. Clicking on the addon button will pop up a window with a bunch of text in it: copy it. It looks like a lot of gobbledegook. Copy that text using Ctrl + C (or apple + C on a mac).
6. Open the Ask Mr. Robot addon in game. To do that, click the robot icon on the minimap.
7. Go to the “Import” tab and paste the text in the area provided. To do that press Ctrl + v (or apple + v on a mac). Note that the normal right-click to paste won’t work in-game.
8. Click the import button! If all goes well, you’ll see a summary of the changes you need on the summary tab.
However, if something went wrong, the summary tab will give you some instructions. Mr. Robot checks a few things when you import that text.
- Is the right spec selected? The last thing we want is for you to optimize the wrong spec!
- Do your professions match? Professions can change the optimizations, for example, Jewelcrafters can use special gems. So we need to make sure those match.
- Does your gear match? The optimizations are specific for the gear you had equipped when using our site. So if you don’t have the right gear equipped, Mr. Robot will politely tell you which ones to put on (see image below)
9. Go to each tab to see the changes you need to make. And Mr. Robot will even do all of your reforges for you. To do that, talk to a reforger then click the ‘reforge’ button on the reforge tab in our mod.
10. Review the shopping list. A super-handy feature to figure out what you need to buy. You can even send the list to friends or mail the entire list to your alt.
REPEAT! Every time your gear changes and you need new optimizations, start this process over again at step #2. Make sure you click the “Update from Armory” button so you have your latest gear.
How to optimize your gear in the middle of a raid:
So you win a piece of loot and want to equip your new shiny. No problem, we have you covered.
1. Equip the new shiny item if you know it’s better. Note, if you are a premium member, no need to equip it, you can just use the “Best in Bags” feature.
2. Open the mod and go to the “Best in Bags” tab. Click the “Export Bag & Bank Items” button. This will make your UI reload (so don’t click this button while tanking trash!) While your UI is reloading, Mr. Robot is updating the askmrrobot.lua file in your Warcraft folder with your character’s most recent information.
3. Return to AskMrRobot.com and click the green “Import” button found to the right of your character name. (Note, if you are a premium member using the desktop application, you can click the “Refresh” button instead, and skip to step 5).
4. This opens a window and will ask you to upload your AskMrRobot.lua file. You can find it here: World of Warcraft / WTF / account / account-name / realm / character / saved variables.
5. Once that’s uploaded, your character will have your latest equipped items. DO NOT click “Update from Armory” at this point – that will override your character information with what the Armory shows (and the armory doesn’t update your equipped gear until you log out of the game).
6. Click the “Optimized” button, or if you’re a premium member, you can click the “Best in Bags” button. Note your score under the optimized button.
7. If you’re in the raid and don’t have the time (or materials) for gems and enchants, this is where you will want to enable “Reforge Only” mode. This will make gray dotted-lines show up around all of your gems and enchants – a gray dotted line indicates that it is locked in place. Note your new score under the “Optimized” button. If it’s pretty close to the full-optimization, you can be confident that your new shiny quick-reforged gear is going to serve you well.
8. Click the “Export to Addon” button found just above the stats section. And repeat the normal process. (Start at step 4 in the main tutorial). Copy the gobbledegook text (ctrl + c), go to our in-game mod and paste it (ctrl + v) into the import tab. Click the “Import” button and you’ll have your new reforges!
Note, if you used the “Best in Bags” option and got the text string from there, any gear that changed will be listed on the summary tab. Just equip the items Mr. Robot lists on there and you’ll be ready to optimize.
9. Get your resident reforge-mount raid member to mount up. Open the reforge window, then go to the reforge tab in our in-game mod. Click the “Reforge” button and you’re ready!
This sounds like a long process, but it isn’t, I promise. Once you get the hang of it, you can do this in about 60 seconds. Unless your UI takes a very long time to reload, in which case, you might not be able to do this in the middle of a raid.
What if something doesn’t work?
Leave a comment and let me know what didn’t work. I’ll help figure it out!