Did you know that the new scenario is a LOOT RUN?! That got your attention, didn’t it – I know it got mine once I figured this out.
The Goal: Gather as much treasure as you can!
- Once you open the doors, you have 5 minutes to grab as much treasure as possible. You can get gold, Elder Charms of Fortune, Shan’ze Ritual Stones, items to turn in for faction, and more. The Ritual Stones are used to summon bosses on the Isle of Thunder.
- If you’re fast enough, you can kill an end boss to get 3 golden treasure chests that have higher drop rates of the good stuff.
- There will be obstacles that try to slow and kill you, but you can run over speed boost tiles or buy consumables.
How to unlock the scenario:
You need to get a Key to the Palace of Lei Shen. WoWDB reports that it drops from Isle of Thunder treasure chests lying around, from mobs, and more often from the rare elites. In fact, they report a 25% drop from Echo of Kros, but the current sample size is small. If you have the Curse client, be sure to turn on the option that uploads drop rates to WoWDB (cilck here to enable it).
A note from Bashiok at Blizzard about getting the Key to drop:
Just to clarify on drop chances for ritual stones and keys, you can only obtain one Key to the Palace of Lei Shen (aka treasure room) from any creature on the island, including the Isle of Thunder Rare Elites. Once you’ve already looted one off of a creature, no more will drop from creatures for your character that week. Additional keys can potentially drop from other select sources, but are extremely rare and not something you can try to farm.
To elaborate on what Bashiok said: it appears you can only loot one key from any creature on the island (rares or normal mobs) per week. This is clarified on Twizzcast’s episode 43 around 1:22:50.
Turn the key in to Taoshi, found inside the cave where the Shado-Pan Assault quartermaster is (you know, where you bought your 522 neck). You talk to her a second time to enter the scenario (but it won’t start the timer yet). Once inside, you talk to Taoshi one more time to start the run, which will activate your 5 minute countdown. The Key will be consumed once you start the run.
Tips to optimize your treasure gathering
Now that you know it’s a loot run, you’ll want to take this seriously I bet. I found a few tips around the web and wanted to share them.
- You can buy several consumables to help you get past obstacles: A Common Rock, Arcane Propellant, Frost Rune Trap, Intact Direhorn Hide, A Polymorphic Key, Potion of Light Steps, and Sleep Dust. A note about the Polymorphic Key: once inside there’s a room where you need to kill 2 sentries and pull 2 levers to get to the next room. If you buy this key, you can skip the killing and the levers. However, it requires Exalted with the Kirin Tor / Sunreaver Onslaught. Watch the Icy-Veins video, at 2:20 they show opening the gate the hard way. These items all cost Elder Charms of Fortune, but considering how many you will loot inside, it’s worth the expense. You buy these from the NPCs right before you start the scenario.
- So what are these obstacles? Mobs that want to kill you, spiders that web you, tiles that stun you, lightning that slows you, and more. Watch the videos to get a good feel for this.
- Look for the green tiles on the ground that give you speed boosts!
After 5 minutes are up, Taoshi pulls you into another room. You can use any burial trove keys you’ve collected from the treasure chests in this room. You don’t have a time limit in this room, so feel free to roll around in the gold you’ve just made.
How much lootz?
It looks like people are reporting getting around 10 Elder Charms of Fortune, 200-400+ gold, 10+ faction turnins and a few Shan’ze Ritual Stones. Have you done it? Tell us how much you got and if you killed the end boss!!
Clear the first room, or rush to the last room?
This is a tough decision – the last room has a boss that gives you 3 golden chests. But other rooms have those chests too. I failed pretty hard at getting past the obsticles in the subsequent rooms, so I might take Bashiok’s advice next time and clear room 1 😉
If you’re like me, you really want to do this now. And I couldn’t get my hands on enough information – I must know it ALL! So here are 3 videos that I found to be the most helpful. Icy-Veins has a really great walkthrough and they kill the end boss. Tankspot also has a great walkthrough. MMO-Champion shows a full run (no commentary).