What is Domination gear?
Patch 9.1 introduces a new type of gear that can be socketed with special Domination shards. This gear is available for 5 armor slots, and matching shard-types across 3 slots activates a set bonus (the set bonus is tied to the shards, not the item). Equipping 5 shards and the set bonus will increase your DPS by about 10%.
The shards and set bonuses are not class specific. They are the same for everyone.
What are domination shards?
The sockets on Domination gear don’t use regular gems, instead you need special Domination shards.
There are 3 categories of Domination shards: Blood, Frost, and Unholy. I’m guessing they are Death Knight categories because we are getting help from our DK friends in 9.1.
How do the shards work?
- Each category has 3 shards to choose from, and each shard is unique-equipped
- Equipping 3 shards of the same type (Blood, Frost, or Unholy), activated a set bonus
- The shards’ powers are active throughout the world, regardless of the zone
- Their powers are independent of the item’s iLevel (so the same shard will be just as powerful in a Normal raid item as a Heroic or Mythic)
- Shards can be upgraded (from level 1 to level 5)
- Shards can be removed (with the Soulfire Chisel), purchased from Bonesmith Heirmir in Korthia for 2,500 Stygia. This means you don’t destroy the shards when replacing or transferring them
- Shard of Bek (damage when high health)
- Shard of Jas (max health + incoming healing)
- Shard of Rev (leech)
- Shard of Cor (damage on new enemy)
- Shard of Kyr (absorb damage)
- Shard of Tel (crits cause ally to absorb damage)
How to upgrade the shards
Shards are upgraded with a new currency, Stygian Embers. Shards are upgraded at Bonesmith Heimir, who will appear in Korthia after you finish chapter 3 of the new campaign.
Upgrading ranks cannot be skipped – you need to do them one at a time. Upgrading fully to rank 5 will cost a total of 100 Stygian Embers.
|Prefix||Shard upgrade level||Stygian Ember Cost|
|Ominous||Rank 2||5 embers|
|Desolate||Rank 3||15 embers|
|Foreboding||Rank 4||30 embers|
|Portentous||Rank 5 (max level)||50 embers|
The power increase when upgrading is similar across shards and ranks. However, the Stygian Ember cost gets quite expensive with each increase in rank.
Therefor, your best strategy will likely be to upgrade all of your shards from rank 1 to rank 2 instead of taking a single shard from rank 1 all the way to rank 5. (Excluding utility and other unimportant shards, of course).
Domination socket bonuses
Each category has a unique socket bonus that is activated when you equip 3 of that type of Shard and the corresponding head (Unholy), shoulder (Frost), or chest (Blood) item.
- The socket bonuses are only active in the Maw, Torghast, Korthia (new zone), and the Sanctum of Domination (new raid)
- The bonuses are independent of iLevel (so they are just as powerful on a Normal item as a Mythic)
Socket bonus powers
- The Blood Shard socket bonus is on the chest: Blood Link. “Blood link drains health from your enemies and redistributes it to you and your allies.”
- The Frost Shard socket bonus is on the shoulders: Winds of Winter. “Winds of Winter periodically unleashes to shield you and damage your enemies based on your critical strikes.”
- The Unholy Shard socket bonus is on the head: Chaos Bane. “Chaos Bane rips soul fragments from enemies you damage, increasing your primary stat and dealing Shadow damage to them.”
Where to get Domination gear
- Sanctum of Domination (new raid)
- They can appear in your weekly Vault
- 1 slot for each armor type can be bought from the Death’s Advance Quartermaster for 2000 stygia + Honored reputation
Where to get Shards
They drop in the new raid, Sanctum of Domination.
Where to get Stygian Embers
- Bosses in Sanctum of Domination have a chance to drop 1 each
- The Korthia quest, Shaping Fate, rewards 10 each week (complete assaults, daily quests, etc in Korthia and the Maw)
How powerful are the shards & set bonuses?
You’ll get about a 1% DPS increase for rank 1 damage shards, and 1.5% at rank 5. The set bonuses are still being tweaked, but will be worth roughly 5% DPS (tanks and healers are harder to classify).