Patch 9.1 lets you upgrade your legendary even further, to item level 249 at rank 5 and to iLevel 262 at rank 6. The upgrade process is the same as before, but a new currency is required.
You will need:
- A rank 5 or 6 base item (obtained from crafting professions or the auction house)
- The appropriate amount of currency (Soul Cinders for rank 5 & 6 instead of Soul Ash)
- The two missives you want for stats (nothing new about this)
- Take these things to the Runecarver just like before, and you’re all set.
In this article
- Soul Cinder costs to upgrade
- Obtaining Soul Cinders
- Requirements to craft a rank 5 or 6 base item
- Do you need to make a new legendary?
Currency costs for Patch 9.1
A new currency, Soul Cinders, is used for upgrading to rank 5 and 6 only. Meanwhile, Soul Ash is still used to upgrade from rank 1-4.
Blizzard said they didn’t want players to feel like they had to save all of their Soul Ash for a rank 6 item – they wanted people to continue to upgrade the lower levels. Adding a separate currency is their solution.
|Rank||Item Level||Soul Ash||Soul Cinders|
|2||210||2,000 (or 750 to upgrade)|
|3||225||3,200 (or 1,200 to upgrade)|
|4||235||5,150 (or 1950 to upgrade)|
|6||262||1,650 (or 550 to upgrade)|
Obtaining Soul Cinders
Soul Cinders are a new currency in 9.1 You’ll get it from completing Torghast layers 9-12 (it is not rewarded in layers 1-8), as well as a few weekly events. You can only earn Soul Cinders on your first clear of each wing for the week.
- Completing both wings of Torghast: 360
- Tormenters of Torghast weekly: 50
- Covenant assaults in the Maw (2x per week at 50 each): 100
- Total Soul Cinders earned per week: 510
In Patch 9.1, Soul Ash earned from Torghast is farmable by re-clearing each wing. The amount you earn on repeat runs is 80% less.
Currency earned from Torghast
|Torghast Layer||Soul Ash (increased in 9.1)||Soul Ash re-clears||Soul Cinder Reward|
|Total per wing||1,030||206||180|
|Total for 2 wings / week||2,060||412||360|
Obtaining a rank 5 or 6 base item
You can buy the base items from the AH or craft it with Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Jewelcrafting, and Tailoring.
How to craft rank 5 & 6 base items: Vestige of Origins
In order for crafters to make rank 5 and 6 base items, they need to learn the recipe for Vestige of Origins. This reagent increases a base item level by 2. It turns a rank 3 item into a rank 5, and a rank 4 to a rank 6.
The Vestige of Origins is BoP, so it can only be used by the appropriate crafters. To learn this recipe, you’ll need to do the following:
- Complete chapter 4 of the new campaign (The Last Sigil)
- Get Honored with Death’s Advance
- Obtain a total of 2,000 Stygia (currency)
Once the recipe is learned, it will take several crafting reagents, including a new one from Korthia: Korthite Crystals.
Farming Korthite Crystals (BoE)
Each Vesitge of Origins costs 40 Korthite Crystals to craft. Even if you can’t craft them, they should be lucrative on the auction house (and very helpful to trade to your crafting friends). Here’s how to find them:
Chance to drop from:
- Rares in Korthia
- Treasures in Korthia: invasive mawshroom, relic cache, mawsworn cache, and nest of unusual materials (note all of these spawn in various locations throughout Korthia)
- Dailies in Korthia
Guaranteed rewards from:
- The weekly Korthia quest reward chests from “Shaping Fate” and “In Need of Assistance”
- Covenant Assaults
- The first Torghast / Tormenters weekly event
Do you need to make a new legendary?
Domination gear was introduced in 9.1 as a way to provide set bonuses. These items are available in 5 specific slots. Because of this, some people might want to (or need to) make a legendary for a different slot due to conflicts. (See the Domination Gear guide).
If you want to make a new legendary, be sure to check with our Upgrade Finder feature first (view guide). It tells you the best legendaries & slots to use. Just be sure to know which slot you might want to exclude for the Domination set.
More 9.1 guides & resources
For your legendary
- Ask Mr. Robot’s Upgrade Finder (guide)
- Full legendary upgrade guide on World of Moudi
- Upgrading your legendary (WoWhead)