Updated for Aug 8 & 11 Hotfixes.
When Warcraft Legion launches, everyone’s wondering what Outlaw rogues should fish for when using Roll the Bones (RtB)? More buffs, Shark Infested Waters, or both?
Reroll the Bones to fish for any 2 or more buffs. You have a 35% chance to get any 2 buff combo.
(Before the hotfix it was best to fish for Shark or any 3+. That recommendation no longer stands).
Roll the Bones experiments:
Updated for Aug 8 & 11 Hotfixes.
This was done in 840 Legion gear (full artifact, no relics), with no special proc trinkets and balanced stats from gear. (You can view and/or sim the specific gear by clicking the ‘simulate this character‘ link on any report).
I used this rotation made by Swol, and enabled / disabled each variation of Roll the Bones (RtB) buffs. The comments under each condition explain the setup.
The simulations were run with a 0.05% margin of error, which is equivalent to ~100 DPS for these tests.
- Never reroll Roll the Bones: 226,502
- Fishing for Shark Infested Waters, no matter how many buffs you had: 227,741
- Fishing for Shark Infested Waters OR 3+ of any buffs: 229,791
- Fish for Shark Infested Waters or any 2+ buff combo: 234,648
- Fishing for any 2+ buff combination: 235,481
For comparison, Slice & Dice comes in at 223,879 DPS, after it’s buff in the hotfix from 90% to 100%.
Here’s a picture version of the results (easy to share)
How many rerolls?
I wondered how often you have to reroll Roll the Bones to get the desired buffs. This is jut a top level look, but it gives you an idea. For the easier conditions, you have to apply it twice to get what you want. For the harder conditions, you have to apply it 3 times to fish for the right thing. You can view the counts in the buff section on any report.
These are listed in the same order as before, from lowest to highest DPS.
- Never reroll Roll the Bones: Apply 11 times (control group, this is the base # of applications)
- Fishing for Shark Infested Waters, no matter how many buffs you had: Apply 31 times
- Fishing for Shark Infested Waters OR 3+ of any buffs: Apply 30 times
- Fish for Shark Infested Waters or any 2+ buff combo: Apply 19 times
- Fishing for any 2+ buff combination: Apply 22 times
Play with more Outlaw setups, it’s easy!
Here’s a super-fast rundown, and a 2-minute video below:
- You can start with this rotation.
- If you want to edit it, you’ll need to login.
- Then click the copy button at the top.
- Give it a name.
- Click the edit button at the top.
- Scroll down to the Roll the Bones section. Disable the active RtB condition, then enable another one to try.
- Go to the simulator OR use my character setup by clicking “Simulate this Character” on the report.
- Select the rotation you copied & edited in the drop down menus on the right.
- Click Simulate!
To do another test, edit the rotation again. Return to the simulate page and click simulate again. There is no need to change anything, since it pulls the latest rotation.
A few more things…
For more videos, help, and tips on the simulator, check out the resources on this page.
Also, thanks to Mr. Shambo for collaborating on some of the RtB conditions and Aeriwen for sharing his Weak Aura that tracks 2+ Buffs.
Join our Discord if you have questions about your own setups… Outlaw, Roll the Bones, or any other class specific question!
I got a question from a guide writer and wanted to share: If you write guides and want to include the DPS picture, be my guest! If you need anything updated, just let me know and I’ll try to do that for you 🙂